Recent Fire Damage Posts

Summer Grill Safety

8/13/2019 (Permalink)

Grills are a fun way to spend your summer time, but making sure you are safe is critical.

It may seem like the dog days are dwindling, but summer isn’t over yet.  That means pool parties, vacation, and grilling on the deck, but are you making sure you are using your grill in the safest way possible?  We have some great tips for keeping your home and family safe during grilling season.  

  1. Make sure to not leave your grill unattended when it is lit.   
  2. Clean your grill after every use.  Old grease and residue can be a quick way to start an unwanted fire.  
  3. 3 feet rule.  Keep your grill 3 feet away from your property or other objects that can be on your deck or patio (chairs, tables, etc.)   Make sure you look for overhead tree branches that can catch fire.   
  4. If you’re using a charcoal grill, dispose of coals in a metal can once they have cooled.   
  5. If using a gas grill, open the grill before you light it.  If the flame goes out, turn your grill off and wait 5 minutes before you relight.   
  6. Have baking soda or a class c fire extinguisher on hand in case of a fire that gets out of hand.   

No matter the fire, we are here for you.  Please refer to our Fire Damage Tips - Until Help Arrives Guide and follow these tips to protect yourself and your property. 

Electrical Fires - What you need to know

7/24/2019 (Permalink)

Electrical Fires can be extremely damaging

Fireplaces and furnaces aren’t the only things that you need to worry about for fire disasters.  While those are more common in the winter, electrical fires can happen during any season at any time.   

What can cause an electrical fire? 

Any electrical appliance.  Lighting, Extension Cords, Outlets, Appliances, and Heat generating equipment are all at risk of electrical fires.   

Preventative Measures that can help 

Keep an eye out for product recalls on appliances and electrical wiring.  A simple search on recalls.gov will give you a quick answer.   

Product recalls happen, but so do counterfeit products.  Counterfeit products land on store shelves more than you think and they are made cheaply and have a higher risk of malfunctioning.  You can refer to the Consumer Product Safety Commission for a list of items.   

DO NOT plug appliances into extension cords.  Plug appliances straight into the wall for appropriate operation. 

Any appliance that generates heat will use more electricity.  Try not to plug heat related items into one circuit.  This includes hair dryers, space heaters, etc.   

If you home was built before 1990, you will want to check and make sure your wiring is not old and out of date.  With such an advancement of technology, some homes aren’t equipped for the amount of high technology electricity that we use on a daily basis.  

What to do  

DO NOT try and use water to eliminate the electrical fire.  This will out you at risk for electrocution.  Having a fire extinguisher on hand is the best way to counter and electrical fire. 

To reduce the most risk, it is best to turn of the electric (if possible and safe), leave the home, and call 911.   

Firework Safety during the Holidays

7/3/2019 (Permalink)

Practice safe firework practices during the Fourth of July!

The 4th of July is a time for celebrating America with family and friends.  With fun colors and zips and zaps, fireworks are a staple of the celebration.  However, proper precautions have to be made in order to have a safe and fun fourth of July.  Use these tips for firework safety! 

  1. Make sure to have a first aid kit or safety kit on hand. 
  1. Have a hose or bucket of water to spray on fireworks that have been used. 
  1. Rogue fireworks can cause major fire damage if they get out of hand.  Have a fire-retardant blanket or fire extinguisher on hand to prevent a fire disaster.  
  1. Have a parent or guardian supervising. 
  1. Always light fireworks outside, never inside.  

If you do suffer from fire damage due to fireworks, read our fire safety tips here, and contact us at (724) 709- 7235.

Fire Safety and Prevention in the Kitchen

5/16/2019 (Permalink)

Make sure to keep towels and other items away from an open flame!

Some say the kitchen is the heart of the home, but it can also be the start of many home fire disasters.  Here are some basic how-to's on how to prevent small kitchen fires from turning into major disasters. 

Stopping Before it Starts: 

  • Keep hand towels/ pot holders, shopping bags, aprons, or other flammable objects away from the stovetop.  It’s also good to not wear loose clothing or long sleeves and to tie long hair back.  
  • Never leave the kitchen while cooking.  Water and other items boil down faster than you think! 
  • Make sure to check old electric grills or other electric appliances for exposed wires.  You are just as much at risk for electrical fires in the kitchen as you are from an open flame.  

I have a fire! What now?   

Small items around your kitchen can help put out small fires before a disaster occurs.   

  • If grease and oil catch fire on your stove DO NOT use water to extinguish.  Water only increases the spread of grease fires.  Use baking soda to spread on the small fire until it has been put out.  
  • DO NOT use a towel to try and dissipate the flame.  Oxygen and air will only fuel the fire.  Instead, use a pot lid over the flame for a make shift snuffer.  
  • Use a class-c fire extinguisher over the affected area. 

These small efforts in the kitchen can help prevent a fire disaster in your home. If you believe a fire is out of your hands, never take a risk and always call the appropriate authorities.   

SERVPRO of West Beaver County will be there when disaster strikes.  Take a look at some of our before and after’s that we have done on fire damage.  

5 Tips to Help Prevent a Fire in Your Home

1/21/2019 (Permalink)

Dealing with the aftermath of a fire in your home or business can be costly, time-consuming and emotional. Therefore it’s important to take certain precautions to prevent or decrease the likelihood of a fire. These helpful tips provided by the NPFA can reduce the probability of a fire in your home or office;

  1. Watch your cooking! You should always stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling or broiling food. Remember to never let young children near the stove or oven while you are cooking.
  2. Give space heaters space! It’s best to keep space heaters at least 3 feet away from anything that can burn.
  3. Keep matches and lighters out of reach! The safest place to keep matches and lighters is in high cabinets, preferably under a child lock.
  4. Inspect electrical cords! You should replace cords that are cracked, damaged, have broken plugs, or loose connections.
  5. Be careful when using candles! Be sure to keep candles at least one foot away from anything that will burn.

Not all fires are caused by things we have control over. Some fires can be caused by unavoidable acts of nature or unpredictable accidents. Just in case one of these catastrophes may happen, keep in mind that a fire escape plan for your family or crew is always a good idea! Try practicing it at least twice a year. In the event of fire damages SERVPRO of West Beaver is available around the clock to offer exceptional response time and trained professionals ready to restore your property!